Laptop killer

I bet you all thought that my blog updates would be less erratic after my last post about how excited I was to be getting Internet access in my house. Alas, it was not to be, because I have now killed my 3rd laptop in a row, and I’m waiting on Sarah’s-lappy-4.0 to arrive from the US sometime in the next 2 weeks.


I swear I don’t mean to. I don’t have this problem with desktop computers. There just seems to be something about portable computers that brings out the Hulk in me. My first laptop was a Christmas gift the winter before I went to college. It was a gift, but it was actually more of a necessity: I didn’t have a computer of my own before then, and I was going to need one as a college freshman. Lappy #1 lasted about 2 years. The CD-ROM drive started to fail at the beginning of sophomore year, but what really killed it was whatever it was that made the screen stop working. I can honestly say that I don’t know what I did to make the computer turn on, the software all work, and the screen not light up. This question stumped the technologically-savvy in my social circle as well. My then-boyfriend, a computer science major, came over to my dorm to check it out, and quickly applied the “remedy” of smacking the side of the monitor. When I called my dad, an electrical engineer and general science geek, his first question was “Did you hit it? Maybe that will fix it . . .”


Lappy was replaced over the summer with Lappy 2.0, a cute little Dell with a light blue body. I started junior year with this laptop and brought it with me when I studied abroad in Mexico. Less than a year had passed with my new computer when I was chatting online with friends in America and spilled almost an entire can of 7Up on the keyboard. Miraculously, the insides of the computer were not damaged at all! The computer still started up and everything ran just fine. But when I tried to type to anyone, what printed on the screen was “I thdhpidnk Ihjlkh brokjkldfe myjhg kkjafeyfboarklasjdd.” After several days of drying out, the keyboard mostly behaved . . . except for the “I” key. Oh, that key. It was the only one that seemed to bear a grudge for the soda bath I gave it. Completely unannounced, it would have a fit and begin typing the letter i over and over. Halfway through a term paper, my paragraph would look like “America’s dominance on the world stageiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii”. I bought a wireless keyboard but I couldn’t keep the built-in keyboard from working. I took off the “I” key to clean it, and then lost the key. I spent my senior year in college and my first year of grad school with that thing.


Upon entering my second year of grad school, my family and I finally broke down and got me Lappy 3.0. At this point I already owned a desktop PC, so I thought a laptop was unnecessary. But boy was I wrong! That laptop came with me to classes, on vacations, and it was with me for all 3 years of my college teaching experience. I used it to plan lessons, to show videos in class, and to access the Internet when we were flooded out and had no broadband service. It’s my longest-surviving laptop, and it came with me to Spain.


It started so well, too. After getting my NIE (subject of my last post), I went to the Movistar store and got my USB modem. I went home, installed the modem, and promptly spent 4 hours online. While I was surfing, Windows decided to install some long-delayed updates. I woke up on Saturday to another few hours of Internet, plus another round of updates. Then I went to a party with my co-workers for the afternoon.


When I got back to the house at 8 pm, the computer started up, Windows loaded, and everything looked fine . . . and then everything just STOPPED. The whole computer would freeze less than 5 minutes after starting up. I tried EVERYTHING. The problem seemed to be that the Windows Installer files had been corrupted, probably because I shut down the computer with the power button on Friday night when it was taking too long (yeah, I know). Safe Mode worked ok, but if I tried to load anything extraneous, the computer refused to work. I considered reformatting the compute, most of my important files being in duplicate on my desktop back in America. Then I remembered that all my recovery disks were also in America. The thought of spending several hundred dollars to buy new copies of Windows, Word, Norton, et. al., and then have them all be in Spanish for forever and all time, made my head hurt.


Enter Lappy 4.0. He is currently hanging out in Seville, waiting for some information from me (I just emailed my NIE to DHL this morning). Hopefully by next week he will be sitting on my dining room table.


Waiting for his inevitable death by Sarah . . .


5 Responses to Laptop killer

  1. I am in Alcalá de los Gazules, Cádiz. It is a small pueblo of about 5000 people. If you ever get tired of big-city life, just hop a bus to Algeciras and then up to my little village; I’d be happy to host you!

    • Lori says:

      thanks girl! And the same for you! If you ever wanna come to the big city for some Malaga nightlife or sightseeing you’re welcome here!

  2. Lori says:

    I just came across your blog on the Auxiliares en Andalucia blog roll ((I’m a first year auxiliar in Malaga)) and thought this post was hilarious! I was in tears I was laughing so hard!! “the soda bath I gave it” lmfao

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: